Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A New Start

I remember this house being creepy, dark and cold.  I was sure I would hate being here alone.  After living here a few months now I realized that it is not that bad.  I am not scared living here and with just Mike and I in the house, it defiantly feels more homey than it did 10 years ago.  Now that we are buying this house again, there are things we want to update, fix and improve.  It is amazing how 10 years and 2 professional incomes can change your eye for what looks good.

With Mike's A.D.H.D. we have multiple projects always going on and none being finished.  This week he decided to tackle the yard even though I feel it is a lost cause.  A 20 year old kid in the neighborhood saw Mike outside and asked if there was anything he could do around here for a couple of bucks while he was between jobs.  For what ever reason, Mike felt a charitable obligation to help this kid out before consulting me.  This is something he has never done before and without talking to me first, will never do again.

I am a faithful person.  I talk to God on a regular basis, I go to church, I tithe, I volunteer in my community. I have unintentionally drawn the line at helping out a fellow human being who walks up to me at my home based on the media and the movies reminding me of how strangers are danger.  Reflecting on this makes me sad.  I have lost trust of those unknown to me in a private setting for fear of being taken advantage of, robbed, assaulted, rapped  or killed.  After working around the outside of the house for a few hours with Mike, we have learned that this kid has had a rough life and seems genuine about wanting to better himself. He is virtually homeless (he is crashing on a friends couch), he has no transportation, he has no self care products (tooth brush, soap, shampoo, etc.), and he has not eaten in a few days.  Now my heart is breaking for this kid.  I still do not trust him, but I feel a responsibility to help him.  He wants a new start and he is willing to work for it and from what Mike said he has done a good job.

I know this doesn't mean I am going to invite every troubled kid into my life, but maybe this is God's way of changing my view point and opening my mind a bit...kind of like a new start to a different way of viewing others.

No comments:

Post a Comment